1 day – 2 months
18 – 50 years old
we accept families with children.
tell us what you would like and we will create a bespoke package.
We will train you to participate in the following activities:
• Native plant propagation
• Giant tortoise monitoring
• Environmental education and community engagement
• Other conservation and forest restoration work
The following activities are also available depending on the work. Should you be interested in participating in these let us know.
• Assisting in bird ringing
• Mist-netting of birds
• Surveys of plants, invertebrates, reptiles, birds and mammals
• Bird monitoring
• Other plant, invertebrate, reptile, bird and mammal work
This list is not exhaustive and should you have a preference for a particular activity, please state so in your communication.
During your volunteer programme you will be working with the conservation team under the direction of Dr Nicolas Zuël and Dr Christine Griffiths. Your colleagues in the team, who will help train you in the different tasks have more than 5 years of experience in conservation in Mauritius. As well as working with a passionate and experienced team of Mauritian conservationists, you will also work alongside volunteers from all corners of the globe.
shared room in a field station at Ebony Forest Reserve
in all the activities
Letter of reference:
for volunteers staying for more than a month and a half.
Basic costs covered with accommodation:
such as electricity, gas, water, toilet paper
Flights, travel health insurance, personal expenses, food, travel when not working.
In most cases, you will be sharing a room at the field station. Each room accommodates 2 to 4 volunteers in bunk beds. There’s a kitchen, office, laundry room, a western-style toilet, hot shower, living room and veranda. Wifi is available.
The field station is located on site in close proximity to the Visitor Centre, where there is a first aid room.
Please take note of our minimum requirements:
• Basic English or French
• Flexible and open-minded
• Happy to work independently and in a team
• We’re not looking for experts, just a passion for wildlife and conservation!
• Be happy to work in all weather conditions!
If you are keen to join our team, contact us by email including “volunteer” your email title.
• Develop a wide range of practical field experience and skills in fauna and flora conservation, which will help you boost your future career, whether it be in conservation or not.
• Make a difference during your holiday.
• Discover the endemic wildlife up close and personal.